Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ozzie


I think it is pretty well known that I love dogs...and rabbits, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, birds...really every kind of animal. BUT I think it is also pretty well known that I feel like those things normally do not work for our family. We had two cats and gave one away because we felt that her fur and attention starved nature just did not fit with us. Meatball (our remaining cat) is still awesome and just the perfect balance for us. So when we would see a dog or want a dog I just instantly go to "nope". We had a puppy in the past and it just did not work out with our busy schedule and the craziness of life at home with a 2 year old and nearly one year old. That is why this story is just crazy to me!


It started when Jamie and I were at Hobby Lobby and heard over the radio about a St. Bernard at the local shelter. He was the pet of the day and was said to be really amazing with kids. Now Jamie was giving me big ol puppy eyes about the St. Bernard and went home to research him on their site. He seemed sweet so I thought I would pop in the shelter one day when I was by myself.


As soon as I saw this guy I knew he was not for us! He was barking and as big as a horse! When I tried to call his name he paid no never mind to me so I passed him up right away. I looked around the shelter some more and found a cute little Boston Terrier named Max. I took him outside, but since he had been there for only a day he was confused, scared and totally not interested. The first thing I kept thinking was...if I took this one home I would find out just how much of a pistol he would be!


While walking him around I looked over in an outside play pen and there was this beautiful white dog with black and brindle spots. I asked the volunteers what it was and the name of the dog. They told me that it was an Australian Shepherd mix and that his name was Ozzie. I commented on how calm he was and they continued to tell me that he was the best dog there and that he was mostly blind. After putting Max back I went back out and sat with Ozzie for a while. He sat right next to my foot and leaned up again my leg the entire time. I immediately decided to bring my family back the next day. (Sat)


I went home and told Jamie about Ozzie but he was more interested in Max the Boston Terrier. We went the next day to look at the dogs and took Ozzie out first. He approached the kids without hesitation, didn't get upset when they touched his tail or approached him while drinking water. Jamie even accidentally stepped on his foot and he didn't whimper or nip...he just backed up. I kept thinking...this dog is soooo great especially for having a disability! We went into the shelter to actually apply for him. Three of the volunteers were actually crying! Everyone there was so worried that Ozzie wouldn't find a home. One volunteer (14) even put money towards him to help him find a home. They told us since it was Saturday we would have to wait till Monday to be approved. They didn't like that we didn't have a fence. I told the workers that I didn't plan on letting a blind dog outside on it's own...ever...even if we had a fence. I was aware that his disability would require a guardian with him at all times. They still said we needed to wait.


Sunday came and I went to see Ozzie...I was so sad that I couldn't take him home yet. I was also feeling like maybe he was saved for us by God. I never, ever obsess over dogs like this. I can walk away from them and never give them a second thought...and Ozzie just kept taking over my thought process. I would sit here at home and imagine him sitting with us and it almost felt like we were missing part of our family. It was so strange!


Monday FINALLY came and they called me. The shelter informed me that they would not be allowing him to come and live with us because of the policy here at our leasing center, which says a dog has to be a year old...Ozzie was only 8 months. I thanked them and hung up the phone and just didn't feel ok. I decided to call our leasing center. They were more than fine about the dog coming into our home and said he was close enough. I called the shelter back and they (of course) said they would have to call the leasing center and that since it was a Monday morning that is would be a while. BLLLAAAH! I had waited all weekend and they were giving me SUCH a hard time about this dog! I finally got the call that Ozzie was ours.


After signing papers and scheduling his appointment with the vet, one of the directors at the shelter apologized for all the hassle. She said they all loved him so much they were just making sure that the right home could care for him and his disability. She took our picture and then I had to leave him to get fixed. Tuesday FINALLY got here and we went to pick up Ozzie at the vet. Turns out this same vet had taken care of Ozzie before his other family had moved and had to surrender him. He was happy to see him and wants to work with him with his blindness! We are considering all natural supplements that are actually really cheap and worked miracles in other dogs. Also two or three of the people at the vet knew him and were so happy to see him again : )


Well Ozzie has been here for 48 hours now. He is completely housebroken, loves the kids, follows Jamie around everywhere, doesn't bark, doesn't jump, sleeps through the night in a kennel. He even avoids the girls when they are eating on the floor and does not beg. It is surreal.  If he is playing with a toy and you take it from him he doesn't argue which is perfect for little hands. He also listens when you say "no". It is almost like he trusts you more than he trusts him self because of his bad sight. Even Meatball is cool with him...I mean he doesn't love him...but they are cool :)


It is the craziest, most unexpected birthday gift! (thanks for the money Mom and Dad :}) It is crazy how much you can love someone you didn't even know existed! Also I think it is crazy that we didn't even know we needed him.

3 comments:

Stac-face said...

Oh my goodness he is so adorable! I can't wait to meet him someday! :)

Stac-face said...

That's such an awesome thing, by the way, that you guys have done. So many families aren't willing to adopt animals that have disabilities or that are older. Most people want puppies or they don't want ones that have been injured. I just think it's amazing that your family has such a big heart to give him a second chance to have a happy life with good people. YAY!!!!

Jessica May Lords said...

oH my GOODNESS he is so cute!!!!!