Friday, September 5, 2008

Missing Peru

When we lived in Peru we had this cute little 2 bedroom house that we lived in. Not only was it cute but it was half the price we pay for our one bedroom apartment here. I just loved everything about that house. There were 2 or 3 windows in every single room in that house, so when you opened them all up you had a wonderful cross breeze that flowed through the house. It was nice because the house never smelled like you just got done cooking dinner : ) It had a porch that I loved to sit on in the evening. We used to sit out there whenever there would be a downpour. It was a great house. Also convenient, as Lobills was just down the hill and on nice evenings Jamie and I would go there and pick out something to make for dinner.

I also miss the country views in Indiana. Yes, you had to travel through cornfields to get anywhere, but I love that. I loved the fact that we could get to an apple orchard or pumpkin patch less than ten miles away. I love the grass everywhere and the trees. Walking around there was refreshing and not uncertain or weird.
I miss our church family in Kokomo and our friends and family. Being able to just see them every week. I even miss my brother because he lived with us for a while : ) I suppose I just miss that point in time.

It's difficult because I couldnt ever go back to that point in time...last fall when I had my dream job and my dream house (it needed work but I loved it) and friends and family around. I suppose you can't think back in the past like that all that time...because then you will miss the present and one day you will be thinking that you missed today instead of last year.

This apartment isn't much of a home...but I think we will be able to find something better next year. Suburb life isn't anything I would have wished for in the past, but I think Chicago will be pretty in the fall. I don't have my dream job anymore, but I am seeing people and making a couple of friends along the way. Nothing can ever replace my church family back home, or friend or family...but I guess I have room in my heart to have more friends and church family.

I am thankful that God is challenging us out of our comfort zone...it's difficult...but I know when I step back into Peru I am going to appreciate it more than ever.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Hang in there, Jean! Keep leaving room for GOD to show you HIS goodness along the way, and HE will.

Sending you a hug...

Anonymous said...

I FEEL THE SAME WAY!!!! I always seemed to hate peru and thought that there was nothing there worth anything (besides church and family and friends) and now I miss it and I want to go back to visit...not move there but just a visit!!!
and
I miss you JEAN...and Jaimie...and meatball and Sketti I miss playing fetch with the hair tie!!!