Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Something Refreshing

The last couple of days I have been down a little bit about finances and such. We have been just scraping by lately and sometimes I am not sure how we are doing it. In the midst of all of it I keep thinking...what is it going to be like when we have kids? Will we be able to give them nice things? I just want to feel secure with children in the picture....

I was thinking about all these things last night when a man came into the store and was asking about good movies. We got to talking and discovered that we were both believers, he was actually a pastor as a matter of fact. He told me a little bit about his ministry and about his life coming to Faith and Grace. After we talked for a bit he said "So what is troubling you?" I was a little thrown off since I hadn't offered a whole lot of information on myself up until this point, I had only told him a little about my childhood growing up in church. I said "Oh, it is just the usual...worrying about finances and all. I guess you think about those things more when you are expecting" I said as I patted my tummy. He congratulated me and then said "Why are you worried about finances? Doesn't God provide for you?" I knew the answer to this question "Of course He does, but I just feel so uncertain right now"

The next thing he said I think I will never forget. He said "We are here to raise righteous children. Our kids will have the things they need...but not always what they want. God wants us to raise our children to be soldiers for Him, to countinue His Word. That is all that matters and all that you need to focus on."

It seemed like such an obvious thing...why didn't I think of it....sometimes our thought are clouded by the worldly things (like money). Not only do I need to lean on God and remember that He is my security blanket (as Barbara reminded me) but I need to be thinking of the ways in which I am going to be bringing up this child in this crazy uncertain world.

Before the Pastor left my store he said "Now, I need you to smile and put your worries off. I need you to be strong for myself and other believers. We are all in this together and we need each other to be strong."

Please, Lord, help me to focus on being a strong believer and serving you, instead of worrying about what tomorrow's checkbook has in store.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing what GOD is teaching and reminding you of, Jean! I needed to hear something along those similar lines today.

Barbara said...

Thanks, Jean! What a blessing for another believer to reach out to you, and thank you for sharing. We need DAILY reminders that our Father will provide for all our needs, as He has always done in the past. God is so good!