Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stir Fry, Baby!

Jamie and I, as you know, are trying to eat healthy. We keep pretty close tabs on most of the day and then eat a little more casually at dinner, but try to make it healthy. Here is our favorite thing right now. I have made it twice this week, once for friends, and thought I would just share. I have to tell you in advance that the original recipe is from my Daddy. Thanks Daddy : )

You will need:
A main ingredient such as steak, pork, chicken, potato, shrimp...I used steak with ALL the fat trimmed
Veggies of your choice (I used sliced green peppers, mushrooms, and frozen broccoli)
Soy Sauce
Brown Sugar
Olive Oil or Rice Cooking Wine
Margarine
Italian Seasoning
Cooked Rice (I prefer brown since it is better)

Take your meat or potatoes and put them in just a little bit of oil or wine. Cook thoroughly.
Take your brown sugar and soy sauce, whisk it until well blended. You will probably need about a half a cup of brown sugar and add the amount of soy sauce. (If you want it as a thicker sauce then add less soy sauce and for thinner add more)
Take your mushrooms and green peppers and just a teaspoon of butter and add it to your main ingredient. Add Italian seasoning
Pour your brown sugar, soy sauce mixture
Turn your skillet up really high and keep uncovered...this will boil out some of the liquid and make your meat or potato tender
When you have boiled out water to desired consistency add your frozen broccoli and cover
This will give your broccoli a steamed effect and cook it at the same time. I LOVE it this way...I would rather have broccoli with a little crunch
If you want a little more of a caramelized effect sprinkle a LITTLE bit more brown sugar over everything and then kind of fold it into your skillet.
Serve over brown rice...you don't even need to add anything else to the rice because there is so much flavor in the stir fry


OKAY that's our fav right now : ) just be sparing with your brown sugar and soy sauce...lots of sugar and salt! Drink LOTS of water during your meal to make yourself fuller faster. I hope you enjoy it

No comments: