Sunday, June 30, 2013

Amateur jogging

There's Last year I started jogging. It really is kind of unbelievable that I did. I have always had trouble with my knees and have been called "Forrest" more than once. Also I was larger than I am now. I would see people jog and I just wanted that feeling. I hear people say you get a high from it. I just needed to find out. So I started by walking and jogging a little bit. I was so unhealthy that I only made it four houses away from my own,walked to the corner and back. I am not kidding. I just did that until I built up. I even took a break when I moved and then it got cold. Yadda yadda. All that to say... I am no expert. Today I jogged half a mile in 9 minutes. Not what I call impressive. But hey! I jogged a half a mile straight as opposed to four houses. So here are my,unprofessional thoughts on jogging. 

-to start buy whatever you need. I needed a knee brace and jogging shoes and the appropriate undergarment.  I paid 30 for my first pair of shoes and they lasted a bit because I really wasn't going long distances. I used old tshirts and shorts at first. 
-I decided right off the bat that I did not care what anyone thought of me. I was out there doing the hard work and I didn't care who thought I looked silly. I was gonna do it!
-I was ok with doing a little and improving a little at a time. I didn't want to burn myself out. Rather I wanted to build up. 
-I listened to music I loved and tried to switch up the scenery when I could. Switching up music and scenery kind of help distract. 
-stretch. Stretch till you can't stretch anymore. Seriously helps. The more you do it the better. 

That's it! And here are the reason I still do it/love it


* I have time for me and my own thoughts. I rarely get to listen to my music. Just a great time to process/relieve stress. 
* I feel wonderful when I do it
* I like to catch people off gaurd by saying hi to every single person I can. Lol sounds funny but it's true. I'm a people watcher
* I feel like I am setting some sort of example for my girls. 
* there's something really satisfying from doing something that you thought you couldn't. 


When I give up here are things that motivate me
-I think about how I had to take the time to stretch and get my butt dressed and ready to be out here. Might as well keep going
-I have a certain song that means a lot to me and I have to run through the whole song. I always have my music on shuffle and it seems to come on every time I want to stop. 
-I just walk it off for a min. I tell myself even if I walk the rest of the time I still ran. Usually I am fine in a minute or so and can get right back into it
-I don't stop running until at least my first 5 mins. I think the first 3 are my hardest to get through. 

There ya have it. Nothing special. Just how I am doing what I am doing. 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Great job! You have inspired me to get back to jogging as well! I will say a thank you prayer for you each time I go:)

Unknown said...

Good for you, Jean! Jog for yourself, jog for those that can't, jog for any reason you want to, just jog! It's not about how fast you go, it's about getting out there and going! You're still lapping everyone on the couch!I started the same way...a little at a time...fast forward 3 years later and I am training for a marathon! Crazy, I know! Stick with it, you'll continue to see results! So Proud of you, Girl!