Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Nearly Raw Apple Pie Filling

 As most of you know, I'm snowed in. We have cleaned the house a million times, cut hair, built tents, done nails, and made a million things in the kitchen! (Bread, cookies, curry, apple churros, hot cocoa, spring rolls). Today I was looking through my pantry to see what I have left (certainly not flour) and I found a graham cracker crust! I know. It's store bought but I started thinking, "if I make a raw pie filling I will only have to feel half a guilty."
This pie came out WONDERFUL!

Nearly Raw Pie Filling

-2 sweet red apples, cored
-7-9 medjool dates (I may have had more
but I know I indulged a little :)
-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice OR a combination of cinnamon,nutmeg, or cloves 
-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
-1/4 cup raisins 
-1 teaspoon cornstarch 

I put all of these things in the food processor in layers. First dates and apples. Then spice and milk. Then raisins and the cornstarch. Wait till it is blended pretty well. (It's going to be a little lumpy).  Scoop it into the pie crust. I also sprinkled whole flaxseed on mine. You could use pecans or walnuts as well. Refrigerate for an hour! So good! I should have made more to fill this crust but hey it's all I had. Maybe next time I can make a raw crust. Hope y'all enjoy! Hager Hugs! 

No comments: